Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Review from Belle: Butterflies by Susanne Gervay


Butterflies
Susanne Gervay
  • Paperback: 250 pages
  • Publisher: Kane/Miller Book Publishers (June 1, 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1610670434
  • ISBN-13: 978-1610670432



Katherine was severly burnt in an accident when she was two years old. Now 17, she lives with her mother and 22-year-old sister. Their father left the family when they were very young. 

This is a moving and well-written tale of emotional and physical damage and Katherine's need to overcome her fears.


Butterflies, by Susanne Gervay, is a wonderful story about a teenage burn victim in a small town who lives with her mother and older sister in a small house. Katherine, the main character, narrates the story of her fights with her BFF, her first date and boyfriend, the school dance, and another surgery to fix her skin, to make her skin more beautiful. 

This is an amazing story, because she wants what every teen/preteen wants, she just wants to fit in with all the other people at her school. She is such a realistic character that you can't help but relate to what’s going on in her life. As a student myself, I can relate to some of what she is going through. You don’t have to be a burn victim to understand wanting to fit in and to look “normal.” The story is written in first person, which I liked because it made me feel like I was a part of the story going through it with her. 

All in all, it's a great story.






I grew up in beautiful Sydney with my older brother Thomas and younger sister. My parents were refugees who escaped from war, communism and terrorism in Hungary. They hoped to be accepted by a democratic county. Australia offered them a new home.
My father was a farmer and my mother the daughter of a Professor of Engineering in Hungary.
“My father always said, ‘Australia is the best country. We are free to work here. If we work hard we make a good life…’
Quote from ‘Next Stop The Moon’ by Susanne Gervay
My parents didn’t speak English when they arrived and worked in factories rebuilding their lives.
I married an engineer and became a teacher and educational consultant. I have two wonderful kids – Tory who’s 8 in the photo, is dressed in a Hungarian outfit made by her Grandma. Her older brother is Jamie (also known as JACK) who inspired my I AM JACK books.
Life gets complicated. My father died of cancer, my marriage broke down and I got cancer. But life is about meeting challenges, friendships, being all you can be. So I started writing for my children so they’d laugh and feel safe.  Then I started writing for all kids, parents and everyone.
My books are driven by the rights of children and families, partnering them in good times and bad and a hope for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment