Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Re-Release & Review by Shannon: Slither by Valarie Savage Kinney (Horror, Paranormal Romance)





Zari Delaney has secrets… the hissing variety. Once she ran away from her family of snake-god worshipers, Zari fought to build a new life. A normal life. A beautiful old farmhouse, an enjoyable job sewing and selling quilts, and a husband so sweet she can’t believe her luck, lulls her into thinking she can forget the venom of her lineage. But no amount of good fortune can mask the nightmares, the tremors, or the freak storm wreaking havoc on her peaceful existence. 

The terrible truth has made itself known: Slither is coming for her. When she refuses to bow to the snake god’s demands, she’s left with the impossible choice to sacrifice either her husband or her unborn child. Trapped within the coils of a dark family secret, Zari must find a way to destroy Slither or risk losing the ones she loves the most



Well, we all know I love my horror, cutting my teeth on horror comics and classic films to diving in head first with authors like Stephen King and Dean Koontz. For me, crafting a great horror story is about the unknown, creating characters we care about, as well as characters we despise, and creating a sense of confusion and deflecting from a predictable course through a believable but engaging plot line with many sub-plots.. A combination of these will create a great read, which Valarie Kinney has done in SLITHER.

I loved the main characters, Zari and Emmett. They were wonderfully flawed and each was dealing with their own demons. These were people I would like to know, despite being very different from me. The villains were truly dark and twisted individuals, giving any great horror author’s creations a run for their money. The supporting casts were also fully fleshed individuals who enhanced the read, adding to the plot.

My only issue is that I wish there had been more interaction with the villains. I wish we had been given more information about their history, were there any more of them, etc. I think that would have been really cool, as this is such an original concept and mythology (and again, you all know I love good mythology), but this is my minor issue. Overall, this was a great read and I would definitely recommend it to any and all horror fans.





Valarie Kinney is a writer, fiber artist and Renaissance Festival junkie with a wicked caffeine addiction. She resides in Michigan with her husband, four children, and two insane little dogs. She is the author of Slither and Just Hold On, and narrator for Dragons of Faith. She can be followed on Twitter @kinneychaos.


No comments:

Post a Comment