Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Tuesday Takeover Spotlight: D.E.L. Connor


Della Connor (D.E.L. Connor) was born in South Dakota and raised in Southeastern Montana where she acquired a keen appreciation for Western and Native American culture. She moved to Texas as a young adult and acquired her honorary Texan status. She became a registered nurse, a nurse practitioner and eventually earned her PhD in nursing. She still works as a nurse educator and as a nurse practitioner. Her nights and weekends, however, are filled with her stories and books. Her first book, "Spirit Warriors:The Concealing," was published by Booktrope Publishing in November of 2014. The second book in the series "Spirit Warriors: The Scarring will be available July 21, 2014. The Spirit Warriors series will consist of five books and a prequel.

The Spirit Warriors story evolved from a short story she wrote for a college English class in the early 1990's. The professor read it, loved it and asked her to stay after class and discuss it. During this discussion, he told her that a "dark" story like hers, that was written for older children, would be unmarketable and unsaleable. The story kept floating around in her mind. Finally, J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyers and others stepped forward with amazing "dark" stories to create a new genre called Young Adult. The time was finally right for her book. She wrote book 1 in two weeks. It took another year and a half and about a 150 queries all with an "not interested" for her to find a publisher. She found Booktrope and as they say, it's all history.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
 I’m almost finished with book 4, The Lamenting in the Spirit Warriors Series! WooHOO! Book 3 in the series Spirit Warriors: The Burning is set for release this summer. It will be a series of five books when I finish.
I have several other writing projects, a book based on my father’s upbringing in Montana in the hardscrabble depression era. I also have a southern romance book and a ‘love never dies’ (I’m making my own genre!) type of book in the works. Now to find the time to finish all of them.
Who designs your covers?
Ida Jansson of Amygdala Design in Oslo Norway! How cool is that? She is amazing.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Don’t allow anyone to steal your dreams. You will be rejected, keep writing. You will get unfair reviews, keep writing. People will criticize you, keep writing. Just keep writing. :)
Do you have any writing rituals or certain things you do to aid your writing process?
I listen to loud thupping music! Music frees my mind.
Favorite snack and thing to drink while you write?
Coffee and matcha tea. I can’t exist without them, or at least no one wants to live with me without them.

eBook or print?
Both! I’m a hybrid kind of gurl.
Junk food or sweets?
SWEETS and anything chocolate. I could survive the zombie apocalypse with dark chocolate and coffee.
Dogs or cats?
 Both, I have one of each, although the toilet-sitting cat technically belongs to my daughter and yes she sits in the water in the toilet! Saves me a mint on toilet cleaning supplies.
Tea or coffee?
Coffee in the morning, matcha tea in the afternoon.
Dark or light colors?
Light, bright and beautiful.
Angels or demons?
Angels, I’m a big scaredy cat.
Paranormal romance or historical romance?
Either one, I’m a book whore. I love to read anything.
Boxers or Briefs?
 I love those tight boxer briefs on a guy.
Control Freak or Careless Jerk?
OMG! A careless jerk. I’m good for whatever. I drive my control freak friends crazy.

Must read books
Harry Potter Series
The Twilight Series
To Kill a Mockingbird (so excited for the new book!)
Lonesome Dove or anything by Larry McMurtry
Anything written by fellow Texan, Colleen Hoover. I have a girl crush. :)

Stalk D.E.L!
Facebook | Website | GR | Twitter

Check out all of D.E.L’s novels



And Come Visit her at
Rising Indies United for her Takeover @ 2pm Pst
  

No comments:

Post a Comment