Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tuesday Takeover Spotlight: A.J. Downey




A.J. Downey is a born and raised Seattle, WA Native. She finds inspiration from her surroundings, through the people she meets and likely as a byproduct of way too much caffeine. She has lived many places and done many things, though mostly through her own imagination.



Can you share a little of your current work with us?
“Just rest, hang onto me. I won’t let you fall.”
“Why are you being so nice to me?” her muffled voice asked.
“It’s about time someone was, isn’t it?”
She shivered, but it was warm enough in here, so without looking to confirm I could only guess she was crying. As far as detoxing junkies went, she was being incredibly brave right now. She wasn’t begging for a fix, she wasn’t whining about how much it hurt, she just simply rested against me, let me hold her up, and cried. It was probably the most heart breaking, and at the same time, most inspiring thing I’d seen.
I checked my watch and absently massaged the goo into her hair, grimacing as I felt some of the damned bugs in her hair run over my fingers and hands, trying to get away from the shit that was killing them. Made me wish there had been more of the bastards to kill back in that house. Fuck.
“Okay, Beautiful.” I tipped her head back and rinsed her hair gently but thoroughly. Letting the water detangle it, cautious not to let it catch or pull.
“Th-thank you,” she stuttered dully and I took my attention from her hair to her face. She stared off into space, shivering in withdrawal and I think I swore to myself then and there, that no more harm would befall her. Not while I was around. She’d had her lifetime of pain bundled into just a couple of years and every one of my protective instincts screamed that enough was enough.
Faith needed a friend, and while I’d only ever pulled the white knight routine once, for my brother, she made me want to protect her with everything I was worth. I just wasn’t quite sure how to protect someone when the only monsters that were left to fight were the memories inside her head. I couldn’t even begin to fathom what’d happened to this girl.
Could. Not. Even…
Who designs your covers?
I have two really fantastic cover artists. For the SHMC series, Clarissa Yeo over at Yocla Designs (www.yocladesigns.com) handled all of those, while the upcoming books in both the Moon Forged and The Virtues trilogy were done by Gabrielle Prendergast at Cover Your Dreams. (www.coveryourdreams.net)
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Sit your happy ass down and write it already. You can’t do anything unless you have it all down on paper in the first place. After it’s down you can go back and tweak it or what have you, but until you have a complete first draft, you’ve got nothing.
Do you have any writing rituals or certain things you do to aid your writing process?
Not that I can think of, honestly. I just sit down and write it.
Favorite snack and thing to drink while you write?
Food isn’t high on my list of priorities when I write and I’m lucky I remember to drink enough of anything to stay hydrated enough to keep going.


ebook or print? Both.
junk food or sweets? Isn’t that the same thing?
dogs or cats? Cats.
tea or coffee? Coffee.
dark or light colors? Dark.
angels or demons? Both.
paranormal romance or historical romance? PNR.
Boxers or Briefs? Commando.
Control Freak or Careless Jerk? Careless jerk would never make it in my world.

Must read books:
Anything by Carian Cole, Bibi Rizer, Laurell K. Hamilton, Cherise Sinclair, and the Hades Hangmen series by Tillie Cole. I don’t really do books so much as I do authors. Which is funny, because I don’t really do bands, I like individual songs. Sometimes I get a band that I like a lot of their songs, but it doesn’t happen often.
Stalk A.J.!

**Make sure to check out all of A.J. Downey's Novels!
and don t forget to head over to Rising Indies United @ 6 pm PST for her Takeover**

No comments:

Post a Comment