Friday, March 6, 2015

Review: A Veil of Glass and Rain ~ Special Edition by Petra March


Brina and Eagan meet for the first time when she's nine and he's fourteen. They like each other from the very beginning, though their bond isn't immediate, but it grows over the years. What links them is the fact that their parents are photographers and are extremely devoted to their work and to each other; so much so that both Brina and Eagan have to learn how to take care of themselves from a very young age. Despite their differences, age, gender, nationality - Brina is Italian and Eagan is American - they find comfort in their growing friendship.
Then Brina becomes a teenager, and her feelings for her friend start changing and deepening. New desires stir within her. As soon as Brina realizes how those feelings complicate her friendship with Eagan, she runs away from him.
A few years later, Brina is twenty and Eagan is twenty-five, they find one another once again.
(Recommended for ages 18+, due to sexual content and language).


A Veil of Glass and Rain: Special Edition is a contemporary romance about two friends falling in love written by Petra March.

I have mixed feeling about this book and I am going to be completely honest and admit that I did not finish this book. I made it to 77% where the book moved into “part 2” at this point I was sort of done with the rehashing. I found parts of this book very engaging and other parts repetitive. The story was sweet and Brina and Eagan had a clear connection though at times I found myself feeling a bit uncomfortable with the relationship and the amount of contact that was happening between them, while she was only thirteen and he was eighteen… was there anything actually going on? No, but it seemed a bit inappropriate.  

The story jumps between past and present and at times I found that frustrating, but we are given the pieces necessary to understand what has brought Eagan and Brina to this point in adulthood.

 The story was well written and I do think for the right reader it is a probably a good story, however for me? I didn’t feel any connection to the characters and found myself skimming the story, for that reason this story is a three star for me and while I won’t be reading anything else in this particular series I would check out other books from this author.
Brina and Eagan meet for the first time when they are quite young. They like each other from the very beginning, with their bond growing stronger over the years.  The fact that both of their parents are photographers and are extremely devoted to their work and to each other; so much so that both Brina and Eagan have to learn how to take care of themselves from a very young age. It helps form their friendship. Despite their differences they find comfort in their growing friendship.
Then Brina becomes a teenager, and her feelings for her friend start changing and deepening. New desires stir within her. As soon as Brina realizes how those feelings complicate her friendship with Eagan, she runs away from him.
A few years later, Brina is twenty and Eagan is twenty-five, they find one another once again.This time he doesn't let her run away.
This book is a contemporary romance written in the first person narration. This is the first book I've read from Petra March.
In my opinion this book was written well even though it did seem to jump around a bit. I  did like the plot of the story because it is true young love can be painful. the author puts a lot of what the characters are feeling into the story. When all is said and done When these two do finally decide to be a couple, they have the best kind of relationship. They were friends first.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment