Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tuesday Takeover Spotlight: CV Larkin

I live in an odd, well wintered, little corner of New England with my husband and our dog that is not a dog, and one that should have been a dragon. There, I drink copious amounts...of tea, obsess over imaginary worlds, listen to deafeningly loud music, renovate on a timetable that would put the Winchester Mansion to shame, and steal away to unexplored places whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Can you share a little of your current work with us? 

Absolutely! Silver and Dust just came out which is very, very, exciting for me. The character interactions are some of my favorite things, so here’s a juicy little snip-it of Pixie’s first run in with the Unseelie Sidhe Eamon.
““What color are my eyes?” he asked. 
“Why?” She was staring at him as if he would disappear the moment she looked elsewhere. 
“Would it not stand to reason that a drug induced hallucination might be distinctly contrary to my actual aesthetic?”
“Are you always this formal?”
He leaned in closer. “I am told that I am less so in the throes of passion.” 
She flushed and it was a lovely complement to the blue of her hair. Excitement burned unchecked beneath his skin. 
“Tell me,” Eamon resumed. “What color are my eyes?”
“They’re a lot of colors,” she answered. 
He silently cursed the frail hope that had begun to seed in his chest. She shook her head and stared at him more intently. 
“Mirrors are a lot of colors. That’s how I know it’s the drugs.” 
Mother night. She was staring directly through his glamour as if it were non-existent. How precious, and still, one could never be overly cautious. 
“Tell me your name.” Eamon pushed a delicate thread of compulsion into the request under the guise of expediency. 
“Pixie.” 
Half truth. 
“You’re too well mannered for a Pixie. Tell me your given name.”
“Penelope. I hate it.”
“I don’t.” 
She flushed again, turning a deep scarlet as he dragged her index finger to his mouth. He exhaled onto the pad of her finger and felt her shiver in his hand. He tongued his lower lip and she let out an utterly charming squeak. 
“Tell me,” he said.
“Sliver,” she answered, fixating on his mouth. “Your tongue is silver.” 
“It is textured as well.” He ran the pad of her index finger down the center. Human without a trace of fae anywhere in her system. Penelope tasted of recent fear, pigment, and overly saccharine espresso. There was a harsh chemical aftertaste to her skin that supported her claims of medication. Poisonous shit to be sure. Eamon sampled her lust... and found her untouched. The harsh clatter of papers distracted from further exploration. 
“Ribbed, for her pleasure,” she said staring at him. Immediately following the statement’s exodus from her mouth she winced, and frantically shook her head. “Ohmygod, who says that!?! I’m so awkward...I have to go.”
Eamon grinned as she wrenched her fingers from his grasp and dropped to her knees. Penelope frantically scraped together the loose sheets of paper littering the linoleum flooring. He knelt to offer assistance by collecting a couple of pages. He glanced down at the content of the material in his hand and folded it smartly before sliding the flyer into the pocket of his trousers. Penelope bolted for the stairwell and Eamon watched her frazzled retreat. That she was so beguiling was a pity. On her own, she would not be long for this world.”

Who designs your covers?

 Sam Furst. He’s amazing. He designs horror props, monster t-shirts, and all other things fantastic. I’m very lucky to have him designing for my books.
Do you have any advice for other writers?  I found with my first book that I had the inclination to add scenes and extra words to get a point across, but simplifying and subtraction turned out to be a much more elegant solution. Beyond that? Write the ideas you’re in love with, avoid the canned phrases we all hear 857,937 times a day, and only run with the advice that works for you. Discard everything else.

Do you have any writing rituals or certain things you do to aid your writing process? 

Nah, I just try and put the words on the computer screen as much and as often as possible. 

Favorite snack and thing to drink while you write? 
I drink stupid amounts of tea. I have cabinets full of the stuff. My back room should moonlight as a tea shop.

ebook or print? Both, I couldn’t survive with only one format.
junk food or sweets? Junk food.
dogs or cats? Dogs
tea or coffee? Tea
dark or light colors? Dark
angels or demons? Progeny- it’s a Courting Shadows thing.
paranormal romance or historical romance? Paranormal
Boxers or Briefs? Commando
Control Freak or Careless Jerk? Control Freak...unless it comes to opening paper mail, in which case I’m a careless jerk.

Must read books:
Exit to Eden, by Anne Rice
Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte
The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher 
Lover Awakened, by J.R Ward

Stalk CV! 
Facebook | Website | Twitter | GR

**Make sure to check out all of CV's Novels 
and don t forget to head over to Rising Indies United @ 2 p.m. PST for her Takeover**


No comments:

Post a Comment